List:       ms-wmtalk
Subject:    Re: streaming not working
From:       Scott Harrison <scotthar () MICROSOFT ! COM>
Date:       1997-07-29 4:43:47

Here is a quick quide to streaming.  There is other good documentation
installed with the product.

scott-

Question: How do I get started with a live broadcast from a NetShow
server?
Answer:  If you look in the Product Documentation I think you will find
what you need to see example usage and configuration scenarios.   You
will want to look in the NetShow administrator on the getting started
page, click the option to learn about the many scenarios you can
implement with Microsoft NetShow.

Each one will have a step by step guide for setting it up and this
coupled with the Wizards should get up you up and running.  If you have
any specific questions let me know.

One word of advice,  If you are doing an Internet broadcast you in most
cases and likely you do not need to setup a channel or program.  In the
Internet scenario simply setting up the real time encoder and a Unicast
Publishing Point (Alias) pulling the feed from the real Time Encoder
using a fixed port is all you need to do.

If you are doing this in a Intranet scenario then you would want to
setup a channel to do the Multicast broadcast and that would require
that the routers/switches on the corporate network both support
Multicast and be enabled for Multicast routing.

Here is the Recommended Internet configuration using the Unicast Server.

- Setup Real Time Encoder (REX) to Operate on a Fixed port. ( I usually
use 5005 but this is just one in a large valid range)
- Start this Encoder Session.
- On Server use Administration Page to add a Stream to a URL based media
- Use something as follows.
        Name := Live
        Path   := msbd://EncoderNameorIP:Port

Then on your web server create the following ASX file. (NOTE: Use a
DOS/Windows Based text editor such as Notepad,  In some cases if you use
a UNIX editor you will not get the LF/CR combination at the end of lines
and will create a malformed ASX file.)  See the article Anatomy of an
ASX for more details on ASX files.

Save in the WWWRoot dir as LiveDemo.ASX
[Reference]
ref1=mms://NetShowServerNameOrIP/Live

Then you could use in the NetShow Player or Link via HTML to the
following Paths

NetShow Player (this will verify the feed coming from the server)
mms://NetShowServerNameOrIP/Live

NetShow Player (for testing this will verify the feed coming from the
Encoder)
msbd://EncoderNameorIP:Port

In  the Player or in HTML source or in a Web browser. (this will verify
the server and the ASX file)
HTTP://WWWServerNameOrIP/LiveDemo.asx

This will create a feed appropriate for Internet distribution.  If you
need multicast or distribution capabilities you will need and want to
setup a Channel and Program.  First you will want to step through the
Channel Wizard and create a channel.  Once that is done you will need to
create a new program stream in the Manage Programs page.  From a new
program create a new stream (ASF stream) and for the URL use
msbd://EncoderNameorIP:Port.  Then you will need to Announce the program
by right clicking on the program and choosing Announce. Save this file
(it is the ASX file) in the WWWROOT dir someplace and use.

HTTP://WWWServerNameOrIP/AnnouncementFileName.asx

You will want to make sure your program starts playing and you have
green arrows on both the program and at least one stream as you can add
multiple streams to a program.