List:       ms-wmtalk
Subject:    Re: HTTP Server
From:       Scott Harrison <scotthar () MICROSOFT ! COM>
Date:       1997-06-30 5:47:52

Question:   What do I have to do if  I want to use my HTTP server for
streaming ASF content.
Answer:  You  Must use an ASX file to prevent your content being
downloaded.  When installing NetShow On-Demand Server, the MIME types
settings for .ASF and .ASX files is set automatically for Microsoft
Internet Information Server.
To set MIME type for non-Microsoft HTTP servers
For HTTP servers other than Microsoft IIS, you must add the following
MIME settings (refer to your HTTP server documentation). Afterwards, you
may need to restart the HTTP server.

The generic settings are:
MIME type: video/x-ms-asf
Extensions: asf,asx

Below is a REGEDIT file you can use to register the mime type on an NT/
IIS server.  You will need to stop all of the services in the Internet
Service Manager at the same time and restart them for the registry
changes to take effect.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\InetInfo\Parameter
s\MimeMap]
"video/x-ms-asf,asf,,5"=""
"video/x-ms-asf,asx,,5"=""

Question: It seems like the asf is being downloaded before it starts to
play.
Answer:  If you are hosting your content from an HTTP server you will
need to use an ASX file to avoid downloading the asf file.