List:       ms-wmtalk
Subject:    Audio out of sync
From:       "Iacoella, Eno" <enorome () USIA ! GOV>
Date:       1997-06-27 4:15:00

Hi everyone!
I already posted a similar message ten days ago but since
there was no reply I'm concerned my message was not so clear
as it seemed to me. Let's try with a different wording and some
more details:

- other people in this list experienced audio out-of-sync problems
with the REX encoder butl all of the messages were about multicast
setups.

- we are creating content for video (and audio) on-demand use using
the Real Time Encoder provided with Netshow 2 Beta 2 on a P200,64MB,
UW-SCSI, Win 95 machine.

- creating video clips with REX, we are experiencing out-of-sync audio
problems, and whatever bandwith, frame rate, frame size or other
we set, we always obtain a working asf file but with a ~1 second
delayed sound stream.

- to be sure that this problem is not related with the audio card
we are using, we captured a clip using VIDCAP32, converted it to
asf using VIDTOASF and obtained a perfectly sinc'd asf file.

- we also tested all of the audio and video codecs available thru
the REX and also all the possible combination of them and we ALWAYS
obtained the same result: a good quality, perfectly working ASF
file with a ONE second sound stream delay.

At this point we "guess" that the problem is the REX itself.

If this is a REX known bug, please just let us know that and we
will be happy to wait for the Netshow 2 "official" release.
It would be fine if we can obtain a time frame for that: weeks?
days? hours?

Additional question: what is the EPG, Electronic Program Guide?
I found a reference to it in an article about possible future
Netshow features but no additional information was available.

If also this message sounds like "alien chatting", please let
me know and I will try to be even more detailed.

Thank you all in advance for your help in this matter.

Nazzareno Iacoella
systems manager
USIS ITALY