List:       ms-smartcardsdk
Subject:    Smartcard Problem
From:       Servidor Global <servidorglobal () HOTMAIL ! COM>
Date:       1999-06-15 11:52:45

Hi!!

I've start programming with smartcard's in the beginning of this year and i
use Microsoft Visual Studio 98 Enterp. SP3 to devlop my applications. I use
MS Windows NT 4 SP4 as OS.

I've been using Cherry Keyboards with two SC's readers (Gemplus Standard)
and to connect MS Visual Basic 6 to the SC's readers i use a .dll provided
by Cherry (ct_api.dll) to "talk" to the reader using STARCOS s1.1 operating
system.

By the beggining of this month i've downloaded the latest SDK from Microsoft
Corp Web Site, and i've compiled in VC++ 6 (midl.exe) the .idl files, like
the  readme in the SDK say's, and in a new VB 6 project, in the references
i've included the scarddat, scardsrv, and the scardmgr type library files.
I've also installed the base components.

So, the problem is when i try to access the scarddat type library, to use
the function cscardcmd... The VB6 simply crashes... :(

For example... when i go to the object browser, i choose the scarddat type
library and i pick every functions and that's ok... but with cscardcmd
function the vb crashes... :(

The crash results:
"vb6.exe - aplication error:
The instruction at "0x0fbdfe9e" referenced memory at "0x00000518". the
memory could not be read...."
In the c++:
"Unhandled exeption in vb6.exe (vba6.dll): 0xc0000005: Access Violation"
Registers:

EAX = 00000514 EBX = 00188B98
ECX = 0012000A EDX = 00000001
ESI = 00000000 EDI = 0012F8E4
EIP = 0FBDFE9E ESP = 0012F878
EBP = 0012F898 EFL = 00000202 CS = 001B
DS = 0023 ES = 0023 SS = 0023 FS = 003B
GS = 0000 OV=0 UP=0 EI=1 PL=0 ZR=0 AC=0
PE=0 CY=0

00000518 = ????

ST0 = +0.00000000000000000e+0000
ST1 = +0.00000000000000000e+0000
ST2 = -0.00000066335867749e+2456
ST3 = +0.00000000000000000e+0000
ST4 = -9.59999999999999964e+0000
ST5 = +8.25000000000000000e+0004
ST6 = +0.00000000000000000e+0000
ST7 = +1.00000000000000000e+0002
CTRL = 127F STAT = 0100 TAGS = FFFF
EIP = 0045C5A2 CS = 001B DS = 0023
EDO = 0012FD68

I've suspected to be a hardware problem...

I've runned the same application in several machines, with diferent
motherboards, different intel processors, i've changed memory dimms, even
installed new Windows 98 OS, and the problem remains...

I'm despered... could it be a problem with c++?
I've done anything wrong?
Where i get more info?
Is there any pages 'bout the SDK?

I've been working with Microsoft products for a long time, and my need to be
connected with this SDK is the latest new's bout Microsoft's SC's
integration nativelly in future OS's.

Sorry now 'bout all this 'large text', and if anyone could give me a hand...
i'll really need it!! :)

'bot Microsoft.. Keep on the good work!! ;)

Thanks for the attention,

Luis Teixeira
Servidor Global Ltd - Portugal
servidorglobal@hotmail.com