List:       ms-smartcardsdk
Subject:    Re: Reading ATR, Select File and Transaction
From:       Doug Barlow <dbarlow () MICROSOFT ! COM>
Date:       1998-01-13 18:19:10

Etienne Richards asks:

>> When I do get_Atr I do get a result but the actual data is not placed in
the
>> buffer. The length of the data is set correctly. What is wrong,
SCardStatus
>> gives me the right result why does get_Atr not give me the ATR data ?

Make sure you do a Seek(0, 0, 0) on the IByteBuffer.  It might just be
positioned
at the end of the data.

>> When performing ISCardISO7816->SelectFile I get a hResult of 0x1, what
does this
>> mean ?

Positive HRESULTs imply success.

>> When performing ISCardTransaction the hResult is 0x8000001f, I do not see
this
>> code in the header. What is this error ?

scarderr.h only contains smart card specific error codes.  It is possible
you can get a
system error code from SCard calls.  COM services such as ISCardTransaction
then
translate the system error codes into HRESULTs by forcing the value to be
less than zero.
Look in winerror.h for system error codes.  In this case, 0x8000001f is the
system code
0x1f, which is "A device attached to the system is not functioning".  This
would imply the
driver had problems talking to the reader or card.

Doug Barlow
Microsoft Corporation