List:       ms-smartcardddk
Subject:    Re: Questions about the resource manager and IFDH
From:       Vladimir Beker <Vladimir.Beker () EALADDIN ! COM>
Date:       2002-05-23 12:24:16

Most of answers to your questions are in Windows DDK.
In Windows platforms IFD handler is actually device driver that
communicates with SCARDSRV.EXE via well-defined interface.
You basically have two options:
1) use IoRegisterDeviceInterface - and then to answer various IOCTL calls.
Some of these calls will ask for various attributes
  (such as vendor name etc) which serve to build the reader name.
2) You may use Microsoft's helper library SMCLIB. In this case you fill
some structure (per reader) and pass it to SmartcardInitialize.
  You pass IOCTL calls to SmartcardDeviceControl. You should also supply
callback function to perform actual operations (such as card power,
transmit etc.)
Vladimir Beker

Aladdin. Securing the Global Village.
P.O. Box 11141,  Tel Aviv 61110 Israel
Tel:   +972 3 636-2222; Fax: +972 3 537-5796
Visit us at our Web site!  http://www.eAladdin.com

Aladdin supports Idealist. Visit http://www.idealist.org

On 05/23/2002 01:57:33 PM ZE2 Stéphane Czeck wrote:

>Hi everyone!
>
>I am currently working on a IFD handler for my smartcard reader, so that
it
>complies to the PC/SC spécification. I have in my possession the november
>1997 edition of it, which I think is the latest one since I've downloaded
>it from pcscworkgroup.com.
>
>The OS on which it is supposed to work is Windows 98. So I have downloaded
>the smart card base components from the MS web site (btw, thank you Eric
>for the link), but I terribly lack a lot of information about how do those
>components work together. For example, I have installed those base
>components, and now, I have a process smartcrdsrv running on my computer.
>Fine, but now, how do I declare the presence of my IFD handler to the
>resource manager?
>In the part 5 of the specifications (the one that is related to the
>resource manager), they talk about the possibility of for example defining
>groups, friendly names, and so on. Does the resource manager supplied by
MS
>provides us with such possibilities?
>One more thing : as far as the connunications functions are concerned,
they
>talk in the PS/SC spécification Part 3 about inter process communications
>between the resource manager and the IFD handler. Which inter process
>communication mechanism is used?
>And to finish : in the appendix A of the PC/SC spécification, there is a
>certain amount of constant values, such as IFD_Success or IFD_Error_Tag. I
>guess the values of those constants have to be normalized and defined
>somewhere. Can you tell me where?
>
>So, as a sum up, I have read and understood the PC/SC specification, but I
>need more informations about how to run the whole thing under Windows.
>
>Many thanks for advance for your answers.
>
>Stéphane
>MICROPROSS
>33, rue Gantois
>59000 LILLE
>FRANCE
>
>Tel:    +33 (0) 320 74 66 30
>Fax:    +33 (0) 320 74 66 37
>http://www.micropross.com

The content of this email and any attachments are confidential and intended
for the named recipient(s) only.

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately.
Do not disclose the content of this message or make copies.

This email was scanned by eSafe Mail for viruses, vandals  and other
malicious content.