List:       ms-smartcardddk
Subject:    Re: CRC calculation by smclib on T=1
From:       Mats Hansson <mats.hansson () INTERTEX ! SE>
Date:       2002-03-08 7:47:57

I don't know anything of the algorithm's, maybe someone else can enlight you
on that, if it isn't obvious from the ISO 3309 spec.
By "it wouldn't be...." I simply mean this: Both the smartcard and the host
must agree on the same method of calculating the CRC sum. Or more precisely:
for a certain Prologue/Information field in a T=1 packet, both the smartcard
OS and the host (in this case represented by smclib) must end up with
exactly the same result of the calculations. Otherwise, smclib will always
complain about a T=1 packet's CRC, sent from the smartcard, and vice versa.

So if the ISO 3309 leaves lots of room for different interpretations, I
think we are in big trouble, since the smartcard spec. ISO 7816-3 does not
specify the CRC method in detail.

/Mats Hansson

At 16:39 2002-03-07 +0100, you wrote:
>Do you know the algorithm use by card T=1 to compute CRC (I want to know the
>Init value to compute CRC, polynom, and final value insert in the frame send
>by the card)
>what do you mean by "it wouldn't be compatible at all with T=1 cards using
>CRC"?
>Regards

Mats Hansson
Intertex Data AB