List:       ms-smartcardddk
Subject:    How to free the serial port withouth unloading the driver
From:       Josep_Monés_i_Teixidor <jmt () C3PO ! ES>
Date:       2001-03-13 15:58:07

Hi,

We have developped PC/SC drivers from our smart card readers and all is
working properly. But now, we would like to be able to unplug our smart card
reader, in order to use the port for other purposes. But we want to do so in
a way that the smart card device is still present in the system.

How would you free a serial port in Windows NT 4.0 and in Windows 2000? In
Windows NT 4.0 we are using ObDereferenceObject and it seems to work but we
wonder if using this function this way could cause instability. Should we
use IoDetachDevice under Windows 2000?

And another related problem, in order to communicate with the driver we want
to open the device directly from user mode, but we can't since smart card
manager is running, we know we can do it through it but we'd prefer
bypassing it if possible. Can we do this without creating another "control"
device?

TIA,

Josep