List:       ms-smartcardddk
Subject:    Re: about smartcardcreatelink
From:       "Pauley, John" <PauleyJ () CYBERMARK ! COM>
Date:       2000-09-08 14:48:27

Used IoRegisterDeviceInterface(...) with WDM drivers and
SmartcardCreateLink(...) with VXD drivers.  Note that
IoRegisterDeviceInterface, if successful, creates the symbolic link, thus
SmartcardCreateLink(...), same as IoCreateSymbolicLink(...), is not
necessary.  Also note that the caller is responsible deleting the symbolic
link and for freeing the UNICODE_STRING SymbolicLinkName when it is no
longer needed.  The documentation only says freeing the SymbolicLinkName,
but the symbolic link object itself will leak unless deleted.  So during
your remove device routing you may have something like:

if(pDeviceExtension->LinkName.Buffer){
        IoDeleteSymbolicLink(&pDeviceExtension->LinkName);
        RtlFreeUnicodeString(&pDeviceExtension->LinkName);
}

John