List:       ms-smartcardddk
Subject:    VCOMM Interface
From:       Mike Schofield <mike.schofield () VIRGIN ! NET>
Date:       1999-07-22 22:18:57

I have a query regarding the use of the VCOMM interface in the
Siemens-Nixdorf driver for their serial card reader. Whenever the driver is
waiting for some data from the card instead of issuing a VCOMM_ReadComm()
call to wait for the required number of characters it waits for enough time
for the data to arrive and then issues the VCOMM_ReadComm() call. This seems
a very log-winded way round.

The only reason I could think of was that the VCOMM_ReadComm() call blocks
and stops any other process running. Please could you enlighten me?

Reagrds

Mike Schofield