List:       ms-smartcardddk
Subject:    Re: BWT calculated by Smartcard Library.
From:       Klaus Schutz <kschutz () MICROSOFT ! COM>
Date:       1999-04-19 18:14:42

Jan,

in case of the BWT, the calculated time is currently too short.
With a newer version of smclib, 'your' BWT would be twice as long
as it should be. You 'just' would wait a longer than you have to.
This means, if a card is 'dead' (does not answer within BWT),
the end user has to wait twice as long before s/he gets a timeout.
I consider this only an inconvenience.

We try to keep backwards compatibility whenever we release
a new version of smclib.sys. We run tests against several
logo'ed devices with the version we're about to release.

We will keep the 'dll' model of smclib since it allows
us to fix protocol problems with cards(that we have seen
quite often). If an 'important' card fails to work with several
readers, we only need to 'fix' smclib.sys and the customer
does not need to get new drivers.

Klaus U Schutz
Microsoft