List:       ms-smartcardddk
Subject:    Re: PS/2-keyboard connected reader
From:       Vladimir Beker <bwz () ARX ! COM>
Date:       1999-03-22 17:32:22

Klaus,
First of all, thank you for quick response.
Now, to the issue: the point is that our company produces smartcard reader
connected to the keyboard port for years.
Note: we produce neither PC nor keyboard, only the reader itself.
I cannot say that we had no problems with this idea, but most of them were
solved, the rest we kept for the currently designed version.
This reader is not PC/SC-compatible (neither API-level, nor communication
layer). BTW, that's one of the reasons we develop a new version.
I have no problems (I hope to provide PC/SC API level). My idea was to save
dramaticaly the effort by using existing communication layer for NT. Is it
possible with NT 5.0?
If not - there maybe another way: if Microsoft is still interesting in this
idea - we could try to discuss the necessary changes in definition of the
protocol (combining your knowledge and our experience in this theme) and to
create a new driver. For instance, we had some ideas about combining
smartcard-related data and keystrokes inputed by user.
I may belive that the final solution still may not work on some computers -
too bad for me (since for me it is a driver), maybe acceptable for Microsoft
(if this is only the sample), but for most of the market it is still cheaper
than replace the entire PC with PC that contains smartcard reader.
If it is interesting for you, please contact me directly - bwz@arx.com
If not - how can I get all these messages from archive

Thank you very much
Vladimir Beker
Project Leader
Algorithmic Research Ltd