List:       ms-smartcardddk
Subject:    SmartcardCreateLink
From:       Nick Meanley <nick () RSSC ! DEMON ! CO ! UK>
Date:       1999-03-03 13:08:29

Just a few questions,

1)
Is the complete functionality of the SmartcardCreateLink documented
anywhere, i.e. what registry entries it creates( both volatile and
persistent ) and how it assigns the device number (SCReaderN), I ask
this because I wish to by pass this function.  Why? I hear you scream.
because I am working on a couple of devices to allow hundreds of smart
card readers to be attached to a Host box so I need to circumvent the
rather low limit of this function.

I am aware that there is a chance that the Smartcard Resource Manager
won't work with more than ten cards ( although looking through this
group its just as likely as with less than ten ) but the environments
that these devices are going to be used in will probably by-pass the
resource manager as speed is something of an issue and the existing code
already uses overlapped IO and worker threads to reduce context
switching. ( someone actually did some tests and found it was
significant
)

2)
Reading through the documentation I am left in something of a quandary.
The device I am working with does all the PTS selection for me
automatically switching to the highest rate it and the card support, my
driver( like almost all applications ) does not give a dam about it and
does not support it, is this allowed?
2i) Also, unfortunately my driver does not know the current values for
some of the attributes so GetAttribute returns STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED is
this allowed or not. I do not use the UpdateCardAttributes function
because this requires you to have the rather large SmartcardExtension
structure in your non-paged pool which with hundreds of cards may be
considered a little greedy.
2ii) If not I was left a bit confused by the pcsc documentation and the
ISO documentation.  In part 3 of PCSC Table 3-4, it says the D parameter
is coded as a "little endian integer" but in the ISO 7816-3 Table 7 the
D parameter is either 1,2,4,8,16, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64 so
could you tell me how this is encoded or is it just returning DI
instead.
2iii) Actually it would be very useful if you could explain a bit more
about each of the elements in Table 3-4 particuarly Current Clk.

3)
I was having trouble with the IFDTEST program, in part D it got stuck in
a loop around test 10 I killed it when it had got to test 34002 as I
though this doesn't seem to match the documentation.

Thanks for your time in reading this.
--
Nick