List:       ms-smartcardddk
Subject:    Re: Keyboard IFD
From:       "Klaus Schutz (Exchange)" <kschutz () EXCHANGE ! MICROSOFT ! COM>
Date:       1998-10-30 17:27:04

Marko,

the main h/w problem is, that mouse, keyboard and smart card data got mixed.
In other words, smart card data coming from the keyboard line generated
mouse interrupts on the host side. This behavior was clearly machine
dependent.
Some machines did not have this problem.
(Please keep in mind that the keyboard interface was NEVER designed for high
data rates)
In addition, a user would normally continue to write/type while there is
smart card data going over the line. We had problems with loosing keyboard
key strokes. With long transmissions, this problem was even worse.
The is especially annoying when you loose the break code for ctrl, alt or
shift.

The software problem you will get under Windows 9x is, that the keyboard
driver is not designed to queue data that you want to send from the PC
to the keyboard (e.g. to turn the caps lock led on/off). When you send
data TO the smart card you should better prevent the keyboard driver from
sending data to the keyboard. This is no problem under NT, since NT uses
queuing mechanisms, but Windows 9x does not.

And so on and so on...

Regarding the recommendation of this model in PC/SC: The documents were
written at a time when nobody was aware of the implementation
problems. Again, when you deliver the kbd/smart card reader AND the PC, you
can solve the h/w problems, since you can modify whatever is necessary to
get this working. Siemens / Nixdorf is an example that this CAN work.
But they deliver both components.

Klaus U. Schutz
Microsoft