List:       ms-smartcardddk
Subject:    Potential compatibility issues
From:       Eric PERLIN <eperlin () AMMISMARTCARDS ! COM>
Date:       1998-10-03 2:52:57

Hi,
While integrating a few components (i.e. a Digi ClassicBoard 4 and
GCR410 readers), I encountered a few problems:
Basically the GCR410s won't start when connected to the Digi board (COM3
to COM6).
I might have an explanation for this an this may concern every serial
reader:
I wrote a driver for fun a few months ago and when I came back to my
sources (derived from the SmarTLP sources) to see how I opened my comm
port, I saw that I use IoGetDeviceObjectPointer with \device\serial? (?
being comm port number - 1)...
And this is a problem as it appears that the Digi board declares
\device\classbrd2Port? (? from 1 to 4 in this case).
Does it really explain my compatibility issue?
I am pretty sure there is a way to connect COM3 to
\device\classbrd2Port1 (DEVICEMAP is the registry contains the
information). I had not time to research this any further. Would the
first to find out about this be nice enough to post the solution?
By the way ,my environment is NT4 (I don't know much about 95/98 drivers
but it might be the same).

Also installation programs should provide a real selection of available
comm ports (not com1 to com4 by default)... Anybody knows about an
elegant way to browse the comm ports?

Cheers
Eric PERLIN
AMMI