List:       ms-smartcardddk
Subject:    Re: PnP under W95
From:       Klaus Schutz <kschutz () MICROSOFT ! COM>
Date:       1998-07-29 18:16:47

Thomas,

this is not the right way to do it. Your driver is supposed to support
PnP messages, like PnPNewDevnode.  Scanning ports for your device
contradict the PnP idea and increases boot time.

PnPNewDevnode should register a device driver
for the new device node, which then can be started from the OS using a
CONFIG_START
message. If you want to figure out what com port your driver is connected
to, just
call Get_Parent to retrieve the device node of your parent. Get_DevNode_key
with the
device node of the parent will retrieve the registry key of the parent node,
from there you can read the value "PORTNAME" which gives you the port
number.

Klaus U. Schutz
Microsoft