List:       ms-smartcardddk
Subject:    IFDTEST & Plug&Play
From:       Ralf Dinter <ralf () HELICOM ! DE>
Date:       1998-06-24 12:19:04

Hello,

I have a few problems with the development of our driver for a serial smartcard reader for Windows 95:

1. Plug & Play

I have connected the reader to COM 1 and COM 2 and it is properly recognized by Windows PnP.
But as soon as I connect it to COM3 to COM 6, Windows does not recognize the reader.

The serial enumerator only seems to check COM 1 and COM 2.
Is this correct, or what I have to do to get it work ?

2. IFDTEST

The driver passes all tests (Part A,B,C) of the first version of IFDTEST,
but with the new IFDTEST it fails in part B.

=======================
Part B: Checking reader
=======================
   <<  Please remove smart card
    1. Device name                                   * FAILED
-  Device name is not WDM PnP compliant
    2. Null pointer check

And then I get "the blue screen": Exception 0E at 0028:C0007F8 in VxD VMM(01) +00006F82.

It seems to be the same error as mentioned in the mail from 8.6. "Error calling SmartcardDeviceControl"
I get the same ouput in the debugger.

Has anyone any idea ???

3. Part D of IFDTEST

a) Testing card AMMI

In Test Nr. 3 I get the following output:

Test No.  3
   SELECT FILE EFresult                                Passed
   READ  BINARY FILE EFresult                          Passed
   'PTS'                                             * FAILED
-  Test not performed

Why does it fail ?? The SMCLIB does not perform a SetProtocol request in this part of the test,
so a PTS-Request is not performed at all.
Only after card insertion a SetProtocol request is performed by the SMCLIB, but it
does not do a PTS-Request, because the card is already in specific mode.

b) Testing card SIEMENS NIXDORF

The test fails in part 3.

Test No.  3
   SELECT FILE EFresync                                Passed
   WRITE BINARY 255 bytes                            * FAILED
-  IOCTL call failed:
Returned        0H (NTSTATUS        0H)
Expected      45dH (NTSTATUS c0000186H)

The card returns the status code 6D00. The driver passes this
result to SmartcardT1Reply() and it returnes the status code 0.
In my opinion this is correct. But the IFDTEST fails, why ???

c) Testing card G&D

This tests fails due SetProtocol.

   Set protocol to T=0 | T=1                         * FAILED
-  Set protocol failed.
Returned       16H (NTSTATUS c0000184H)
Expected        0H (NTSTATUS        0H)

Is this caused by the bug in SMCLIB ?

All other cards pass the test.

4.) When there will be support for synchronous memory cards ?

thanks in advance,

Ralf Dinter
Helicom GmbH