List:       ms-smartcardddk
Subject:    Re: Vendor specific IOCTL:s. Resource Handler.
From:       Doug Barlow <dbarlow () MICROSOFT ! COM>
Date:       1998-03-19 18:01:40

Perhaps something else that should be in the documentation is that the PC/SC
design assumes threading is available on the system.  Hence there was no
need for messy overlapped operations.  The thread making the SCardControl
call will politely block until the command completes, allowing other threads
to use the CPU.

Note that all requests on a single context are serialized.  Hence, to
perform overlapping operations, you'll need multiple smart card contexts.
For example, if a background thread watches for card removal using
SCardGetStatusChange, it must use a separate context, otherwise it will
block other operations.

Doug Barlow
Microsoft Corporation