List:       ms-ospf
Subject:    Re: [Lsr] Fwd: Open issues with Dynamic Flooding
From:       tony.li () tony ! li
Date:       2019-04-10 14:09:48

Hi Dave,

> So for my edification/education, this is a general behavior that in the absence of \
> any specific algorithm is postulated.  (?)

Yes.

> The piece I do not quite get is "adding until fixed".  Is the working assumption \
> that things have broken down to the point that there is no synchronization of the \
> topology and the repairs are "blind"?

Yes.  We are using a centralized algorithm and have had multiple near simultaneous \
failures that have partitioned the flooding topology. While the area leader can (and \
probably will) compute a new flooding topology that repairs everything, it cannot be \
easily distributed across the partition of the flooding topology.

> Hence "adding until fixed" is adding until IGP exchange appears to have  minimized \
> the changes in the LSDB from some previous state of the FT or some other criteria?  \

Adding links temporarily to the FT should restore flooding, at which point an updated \
FT from the area leader can easily propagate.

Note that this is a convergence time issue: the new FT could slowly propagate, but it \
does require that each node at the partition unpack the new FT, install it, and then \
perform synchronization on the new links before proceeding.

Tony