List:       ms-ospf
Subject:    Re: [OSPF] RFC1583Compatibility
From:       "Pat Murphy - (650)329-4044" <pmurphy () noc ! usgs ! net>
Date:       2012-04-17 19:30:45

Faraz,

You are right. It is set to enable by default. Sorry, it has been a long time since I looked at
this spec. I suspect almost every RFC 2328 Internet deployment is running RFC 1583 compatibility
mode. Implementations clearly provide for disabling the mode. However someone would have to know
the ramifications of keeping the mode "enabled" before they would disable it. I doubt if most do.
Hence the spec is stuck indefinitely. In truth, even though I knew the ramifications, I thought
it was "disabled" by default.

Out of curiosity I took a look at some Cisco and Juniper routers I helped deploy some time ago
and noticed the cost of my original summary range aggregations appear to use the RFC 1583 MINIMUM
as opposed to the RFC2328 MAXIMUM. These routers are running with the RFC1583Compatibility mode
"enabled". I did not try a lab experiment to see what happens when their RFC1583Compatibility
mode is "disabled". But, assuming the summary cost metric reverts to the RFC2328 MAXIMUM when the
mode is "disabled", this seems contrary to the implementations you and Acee mentioned. Perhaps
this RFC2328 vs RFC2178 issue needs some clarification, as you suggest.

For what's its worth, with router memory so large these days, OSPF summary range aggregation has
less appeal. I was surprised to find my aggregations still configured.

Pat