List:       ms-ospf
Subject:    Re: [OSPF] link-LSA for ospfv3 multi area adjacency
From:       Nischal Sheth <nsheth () juniper ! net>
Date:       2008-06-11 20:40:56

Peter Psenak wrote:

> Nischal,
>
> Nischal Sheth wrote:
>> Section 4 of RFC 5185 says that a link-LSA SHOULD NOT be advertised for a
>> ospfv3 multi-area adjacency.  Instead, it suggests that the neighbor's
>> link
>> local address can be gleaned from hello packets.
>>
>> It appears to me that this won't work for multi-area adjacencies in
>> non-IPv6
>> AFs.  Any thoughts on loosening this recommendation and generating
>> link-LSAs
>> for multi-area adjacencies in general or at least for non-IPv6 AFs?
>
> 5185 is based on the current OSPFv3 spec that supports only a single AF.
> If the multi AF support in OSPFv3 requires changes to the 5158, it
> should be done as a part of the OSPFv3 multi-AF effort.

Hi Peter,

Fair enough.  This sounds like a good course of action.

It seems that the most straightforward solution would be to override the
RFC 5185 behavior for non-IPv6 AFs and generate link-LSAs for multi-area
adjacencies.  These must contain only the link local address and no other
prefixes.

Could the authors of the multi-AF draft please address this issue in the
next version?

Thanks,
Nischal