List:       ms-ospf
Subject:    Re: [OSPF] ospfv3: next hop calculation for adjacent router's
From:       Acee Lindem <acee () redback ! com>
Date:       2007-04-27 12:59:17

Hi Manoj,

I agree that is not unclear. I've modified section 3.8.2 in the RFC
2740 update.

***************
*** 2698,2713 ****

      In IPv6, the calculation of the next hop's IPv6 address (which
will
      be a link-local address) proceeds along the same lines as the IPv4
!    next hop calculation (see Section 16.1.1 of [OSPFV2]).  The only
!    difference is in calculating the next hop IPv6 address for a router
!    (call it Router X) which shares a link with the calculating router.
!    In this case the calculating router assigns the next hop IPv6
address
!    to be the link-local interface address contained in Router X's
Link-
!    LSA (see Appendix A.4.9) for the link.  This procedure is necessary
!    for some link types, for example NBMA, where the two routers
need not
!    be neighbors and might not be exchanging OSPF Hello packets.  For
!    other link types, the next hop address may be determined via the
IPv6
!    source address in the neighbor's Hello packet.

   3.8.3.  Calculating the inter-area routes

--- 2698,2724 ----

      In IPv6, the calculation of the next hop's IPv6 address (which
will
      be a link-local address) proceeds along the same lines as the IPv4
!    next hop calculation (see Section 16.1.1 of [OSPFV2]).  However,
!    there are some differences.  When calculating the next hop IPv6
!    address for a router (call it Router X) which shares a link with
the
!    calculating router, the calculating router assigns the next hop
IPv6
!    address to be the link-local interface address contained in Router
!    X's Link- LSA (see Appendix A.4.9) for the link.  This procedure is
!    necessary for some link types, for example NBMA, where the two
!    routers need not be neighbors and might not be exchanging OSPF
Hello
!    packets.  For other link types, the next hop address may be
!    determined via the IPv6 source address in the neighbor's Hello
!    packet.
!
!    Additionally, when calculating routes for the area's intra-area-
!    prefix-LSAs, the parent vertex can be either a router-LSA or
network-
!    LSA.  This is in contrast to the second stage of the OSPFv2 intra-
!    area SPF (Section 16.1 in [OSPFV2]) where the parent vertex is
always
!    a router-LSA.  In the case where the intra-area-prefix-LSA's
!    referenced LSA is a directly connected network-LSA, the prefixes
are
!    also considered to be directly connected.  In this case, the
next-hop
!    is solely the outgoing link and no IPv6 next hop address is
selected.

   3.8.3.  Calculating the inter-area routes

Thanks,
Acee