List:       ms-ospf
Subject:    Re: AS border router.
From:       Alex Zinin <azinin () NEXSI ! COM>
Date:       2001-10-12 23:59:09

Acee,

  Not trying to argue which one is better, just putting some
  reasons behind using the second approach you mentioned:

   1. Router-LSA origination (!E -> E) should not be a big
      deal as other (ASE) LSAs are already originated or
      flushed.

   2. Not announcing the E-bit without actual ASEs maybe better
      because other routers won't have to maintain state for
      the ASBR, as well as type-4s won't have to be originated.

 To back this up, I had to debug a huge (really), multi-area
 OSPF network, where administrators decided to configure
 the "redistribute" command on _all_ access routers though most
 of them didn't have any externals to announce and the E-bit
 was set regardless of whether ASEs were originated or not...
 Imagination will help with the rest of the story ;)

--
Alex Zinin