List:       ms-ospf
Subject:    Re: determining the newer LSA,and comment on periodic reflooding
From:       Alex Zinin <zinin () AMT ! RU>
Date:       1999-12-03 13:10:51

Barry,

I played with it today, injected about 700 ASEs.
That's interesting---the default timer setting
did not affect the refreshment process (well,
at least within 4 refresh cycles), i.e. the difference
between the min and max LSA ages remained
the same (about 10 secs) as just after the first
origination.
But when I set the timer to the minimum possible
value (10 secs) it did work---the first cycle
refresh events were dispersed within about 50
secs. For the second cycle the dispersion was
about 100 secs, and then about 150...

So, seems to be that the documentation is not
quite correct, because according to what is
said in it, the LSA refreshes must be syncing
more and more after each cycle. The real
implementation is different, so I withdraw my
comment.

Padma,
Though I agree that packet pacing is a general
technique, LSA pacing is a link-state technology.
I think the refresh dispersion methods do fit into
the WG, because they improve the protocol
characteristics. At the same time I understand
the situation where a vendor doesn't want to
disclose some details. Since Zebra is GNU GPL,
it's not an issue for us, cisco is a different case :)

Regards,
Alex.