List:       ms-java-com
Subject:    Re: Make EXE/DLL from command line
From:       Howard Kapustein <hsk0 () VOICENET ! COM>
Date:       1999-02-28 22:29:04

Thanks for the DLL info -- I was concerned I only had JEXEGEN.
That's a valid assumption, right? JEXEGEN can make .EXE but not .DLL?
[Implied
in docs but not state it clearly.]

At least I have a working solution.
So now, the question remains: How do the VJ6 IDE do what it do?

If I've only got VJ6 installed on my box, no SDK and no NT Option Pack,
how does
VJ6 make EXEs and DLLs? Some code buried w/in a COM widget
delivered/used by the
IDE?

I'm not saying I want to use it if true (esp. if it's "undocumented",
not to
mention if I have to roll my own EXE to use them :-), just want to
understand.

My big concern -- are the EXE/DLL generators in SDK/NTOptionPack
equivalent to
what's in the IDE? Do I get identical results using either?

[Maintenance concerns -- different tools and thus different
update/patch/SP
schedules, but most developers will use the IDE for most work and unit
testing.
Just being paranoid.]

    - Howard

Chad Verbowski wrote:

> Today you can create EXEs using jexegen from the Java SDK 3.1
available at
> http://www.microsoft.com/java/download/javasdk31.htm A future release
of
> jexegen from the Java SDK will have the capability of creating DLLs as
well.
> In the meantime, you can use the exegen from the MTS SDK to create
DLLs. The

http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/recommended/NT4OptPk/default

> .asp
>
> Cheers!
>
> -Chad

Email: mailto:hsk0@voicenet.com     WWW: http://www.voicenet.com/~hsk0
"A computer scientist is someone who, when told to 'Go to Hell,'
  sees the 'go to,' rather than the destination, as harmful."
All side effects are effects.
We can never do merely one thing.
                   -First Law of Ecology