List:       ms-java-com
Subject:    Re: I hate you Tracy Sharpe! ;-)
From:       Jayme Edwards <angjh () EXECPC ! COM>
Date:       1998-12-24 23:12:52

Don,

I'm also be interested in this post-processor that adds the Java/COM
attributes after compilation.  Were you saying something about it being
included (or aspects of its functionality) in a future VM release?  Sun's
1.2 VM and compiler won't create any class that has even non-
instantiated Object references to Java/COM classes with @com attributes.
I'm working at finding ways to use COM objects from Java with detection of
the VM and platform - If you've got the MS VM, everything will cruise as
expected.  If you've got the Sun VM, I will have to jump through some loops
to access what I can...they have an ActiveX bridge but it's a complete
joke.  I love what MS has done with the VM, and I'm scrambling daily to
educate management on the benefits of Java and COM, but unfortunately our
existing controls/objects are of a C++ implementation and were designed
solely for speed.  It obviously doesn't solve the entire problem exposing
these objects to Java when only the Microsoft VM can use them.  In my
opinion COM is a much more stable and robust component framework than
JavaBeans, but there are definate Win32 dependencies. Of course, I know
this is probably partially due to the fact that there are not Java/COM MS
VM ports for the Solaris and HP platforms.  While IE4 is available for
these platforms (and MAC) the Java/COM integration aspects are almost non-
existent.  You did work on a digital UNIX port of COM, correct?  Would it
be feasible to consider porting the existing COM features of the VM to
other platforms in the future?

Commenting on a more "universal" VM (without the "lowest common denominator" approach),

Jayme Edwards
Rockwell Software
SoftLogix Extensions - http;//www.softautomation.com/slx
Microsoft MVP for Java/COM