List:       ms-java-com
Subject:    Delegated events over DCOM
From:       Jayme Edwards <angjh () EXECPC ! COM>
Date:       1998-11-30 19:08:40

Folks,

I have an existing ActiveX control that I've configured to run
remotely via DCOM that has one dispatch interface and one
outgoing (event) dispatch interface.  I've been able to successfully
create the component on the client using the dcom classes that
came with the SDK 3.1 in the Samples\DCOM dir, and can invoke
methods of the object with Dispatch.get/invoke etc (I get back
an Object from the J/Direct CoCreateInstance) however if I try
to cast to other interfaces or pass it to a ConnectionPointCookie
constructor, I can't seem to hook up connection points.  I want
to be able to sink the events via DCOM without any rewritten
server code if possible.

Is there a way to do this?  I've looked in the archives, some say
outgoing interfaces need special configuration on the server, others
say you need to create another component on the client to pass to
the server (which in essense is what you're doing by binding the
ConnectionPointCookie).  I must admit I'm not extremely well versed
in DCOM and may have missed out on some configuration options.

I've chosen the default security privileges of "Everyone" on my
2 person LAN at home here, and have added the APPID to my server
component and client component.  I've also added the two
dispinterfaces to the HKLM\Interface and HKLM\Classes\Interface
keys, with the ProxyStubClsid entries pointing to the standard
ole marshaler ({00020420-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}).

One thing I wonder is if there is a cleaner way to do this using
delegates :).  Any advice would be great.

Jayme Edwards
Rockwell Software
SoftLogix Extensions - http://www.softautomation.com/slx
Microsoft MVP for Java/COM