List:       ms-java-com
Subject:    Java/MTS fix causing problems
From:       Robert Moore <rmoore () SMARTDNA ! COM>
Date:       1998-02-27 1:46:44

We have been trying to see connection pooling in action and written a
small application that calls our Java/COM database access layer object
(which itself uses ADO).  The application is quite simple.  It kicks off
four threads which each open a database connection, make a select query
against the database (FYI, it's a small table), and close the
connection.  The connection pooling is working properly and we are
releasing our Java/COM object like we are supposed to.

Things seemed to be going well until we ran the application for a while
(hitting the database some 300 times) and then it completely locks.  We
tried looking at several factors such as VM heap size and the like and
couldn't figure out what was causing the freeze.  Finally, on a lark, we
reinstalled MTS *without* the Java/MTS patch and everything began
working without a hitch.

Unless we miss our guess, it would seem that the patch has actually
introduced a bug of some sort which is causing us these problems.  We
would appreciate it if someone from MS would address this.  We would be
happy to provide information to resolve the problem, so feel free to
contact us.

Thanks,

Rob