List:       ms-dcom
Subject:    Re: Template functions
From:       Albert Pi <API () CABLEVISION ! COM>
Date:       2000-11-27 16:30:04

Jeff:
            Can you post your definition of the template function?

>>> Jeff Yates <jeff.yates@PIGROUP.CO.UK> 11/27 6:32 AM >>>
Hi,

This is slightly out of topic but is related to an ATL component I am
writing.  I have a template function that has one parameter passed to it as
T* (templated).  The resultant pointer is used in a smart pointer
(CComPtr<T>) and has properties Count and Item used.  This works for one
interface with these two properties but not for another.  I call the
function as Function(spThing.p...  where spThing is a smart pointer for an
interface.  As I say, this works for one interface with the appropriate
methods but not for another.  Can anyone shed any light?  I have VC++ 6 with
SP4 and W98 SE.  I have looked the error up in MSDN October 2000 but it
isn't listed.

Here is what the compiler outputs:

error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'long __thiscall
CClass::Function(T *,struct _TREEITEM *,class AnotherThing *,struct IUnknown
*)'
        With the following template arguments:
        'struct IMyInterface'

Help would be most appreciated as my colleagues and I are rather confused.

Jeff Yates