List:       ms-dcom
Subject:    Implementation inheritance
From:       Zhen Lee <ZhenLee () MARTIN-ASSOCIATES ! COM>
Date:       2000-09-27 15:27:08

I posted the following question on .Net list. Nobody answered. So I tried it
here:

In COM world, we only have interface inheritance. As long as interface
(vtable) doesn't change, we can change the component without recompile all
the client code, that is what we called component software.

In .Net world, implementation inheritance was brought back. I believe .Net
still has this capability, but how?

Is that because at compile time (into MSIL) the derived object's memory
layout only contain a type reference of the base object, then at the run
time, the base object memory layout is pulled in and the memory layout of
the derived object is constructed on the fly? So we can always change base
component without recompile derived object. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks!

Zhen Lee
Martin & Associates, Inc.
(605)399-1062 ext. 20