List:       ms-dcom
Subject:    Windows 2000 COM+ Application Proxies not closing connections
From:       "Moseler , Michael" <Michael.Moseler () RVINSURANCE ! COM>
Date:       2000-05-31 13:38:18

We are seeing a major issue using COM+ application proxies under Windows
2000 and IIS 5.0.
I have an ASP page which calls the component that is refreshed every minute
by about 20 people
during the day.  The component connects to the database, gets some
information, and uses
MSXML to construct an XML string which is passed back down to the ASP page.
The code
looks something like this:

Set oAgentQuotes = Server.CreateObject("Agent.Quotes")
sXML = oAgentQuotes.GetQuotes(Now)
Set oAgentQuotes = Nothing

The application runs very fast until about the middle of the day and the
server will be unresponsive
and requires reboot.  I have found that the TCP connections DCOM is making
for the proxy are
not being dropped.  Gradually during the day there will be more and more
open connections.
Yesterday I counted over 3300 established TCP connections between our web
server and the
application server.  It does not seem to be reusing and/or dropping the
connections appropriately.
Any ideas on what could be causing this?  Could be the timeout setting on
the TCP connection
for DCOM?  Is this adjustable in Windows 2000?

Thanks

Mike Moseler
Technology Solutions Analyst
National Alliance Insurance Company