List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Re: use of pkcs#11 is limited?
From:       Laszlo Elteto <lelteto () RAINBOW ! COM>
Date:       2003-05-14 15:38:00

It is strange if that CSP is designed to run only with certain application.
If that's the case I guess you are out of luck. (You better use a smart card
from a manufacturer which supports generic CAPI and PKCS#11 - but that's my
personal recommendation only.)
As for the other story: There are several cryptographic APIs in use.
One is CAPI = Microsoft's CryptoAPI. It is for Windows only. Many - but no
all - Windows applications use CAPI: it has broad support for certificates,
encrypt/decrypt, sign/verify and any token which has a CSP.
Another widely used cryptographic API is RSA Security's PKCS#11 a.k.a.
Cryptoki (Cryptographic Token Interface API). It is cross-platform but as
its name implies its scope is more limited to token support, eg. it does not
have much certificate support (except you can store and retrieve them).
Netscape uses Cryptoki (even on Windows platform).
Another widely used API is OpenSSL (and in it the crypto EAY library). It is
pure cryptography, generally doesn't have token support (except for a few
accelerator boards).
For your last question: BTW = By The Way...

Laszlo Elteto
Fellow Scientist
Rainbow Technologies, Inc.