List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Re: Fw: CAPI and Smart Card Logout Issue
From:       adfs apu <apu000a () HOTMAIL ! COM>
Date:       2003-02-25 22:02:42

>IMHO, things are fine as they are:   Leaving a smartcard in the
>reader is as irresponsible as leaving a key in a lock.  Surely no
>company will ban the use of locks that remain open (or openable)
>when the key is left in.  Logging "out" but leaving the smartcard
>"in" is like locking the door, and leaving the key in:

Although I would agree in general, the issue is not as clear in the "real
world". There are users who telecommute from home, they connect to access
internal resources and disconnect from the vpn. Since they are at home, they
don't usually remove the smart card from reader. Yes, that is not a good
practice from a purist pov but since they are at home, it will be done no
matter how much one wishes they don't do it. They connect again and they are
not prompted for the smart card password. If I was using applications
interfacing with the smart card using pkcs#11, the same user would be
prompted for the password to the smart card. With CAPI, this doesn't happen.
In addition, after you logged on to the smart card, if you logoff Windows,
and log back into Windows, you are still not prompted to the password to the
smart card (assuming the card was not removed) because the client interface
to the CAPI is a 2/XP service.

>Possible solutions are an obvious time-out, such that even though
>the smartcard is in the reader the VPN "logs-out" the user after a
>certain time of inactivity, or even activity, unless the user seeks to
>"continue" (done any e-banking lately?)
We are doing that, ie killing sessions via idle timeout but that does not
address the issue at hand, which is after the user's session is kicked off,
he/she can log back on *without* entering the password to the smart card. So
the idle timeout for VPN is not an effective tool for this issue.

We all know smart cards need to be removed once it is no longer needed but
that is not the only solution. Having a "chain" to the smart card/usb fob
may work for some but depending on the model of the laptop (determines the
position of the pcmcia slots/usb slots; front/side/back of the computer),
length of the "chain", etc, it may not be a viable solution. With a ID badge
card to access a room/your office/etc, you are pulling out the card for a
short time and you are allowed access into room and you're done. That is
about a second or two. You are not conncted to the reader for more than
that. If you have a contact-less card, you don't even need to stop and make
any contact with the reader. So in those cases, having a chain for the smart
card/usb fob would work.
In smart card/Client application (VPN specifically) world that I am speaking
of, the card needs to be in the reader/USB slot during the duration of the
VPN session, it is unrealistic to expect the user to sit there with a chain
connected to his/her pants/clothing with the other end (smart card/usb fob)
connected to the computer for the duration of the VPN session which could
last from few minutes to hours.

There should be a mechanism in CAPI that allows one to "clear-out" the
authenticated session between the client calling the CAPI and CAPI. I don't
think this is necessarily a smart card specific request.

apu