List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Re: Severe IE flaw undermines SSL (Due Failure to check
From:       "John Lambert (NT)" <johnla () WINDOWS ! MICROSOFT ! COM>
Date:       2002-08-15 18:31:36

>For the latest version of MSIE, approximately seven hundred
>(700 mouse clicks to disable the hardcoded certs,
>that's not a typo

It's not that bad.

In Windows XP and .NET server you can disable the 3rd party roots via
group policy.  In XP we split the root store internally into two parts:
(1) the roots needed for the OS to work and (2) the 3rd party roots. You
can turn off #2 for your entire domain or any organizational unit.  You
can also add just the roots you want your users to trust via group
policy.

Using an XP/.NET Server group policy editor go to:
Computer configuration, Windows settings, security settings, Public key
policies, Trusted Root Certification Authorities, right-click
Properties.   If you don't want your users to trust the 100+ commercial
CA's that ship in the box, ensure that "Client computers can trust the
following certificate stores" is set to "Enterprise Root Certification
Authorities".

I estimate about 7 mouse clicks.

John