List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Re: AcquireCredentialsHandle and LOCALSYSTEM
From:       Garry Barclay <gb () XS4ALL ! NL>
Date:       2002-06-18 12:09:07

Always feel a bit sad replying to me own question... but for reference.

When we were moving certificates from our user store (where they were
created) to the machine store we used MMC's drag and drop. This seemed to
work, but must (guessing..) leave the (private) key information behind -
only accessible to the original user who created the keys, probably in the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry hive.

By exporting the certificates (to a file from the user certificate store)
and importing them (from the file into the machine certificate store) we
presumably bring the keys across as well and it all works fine.