List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Registering, unregistering, and getting info on OIDs
From:       Bill Price <wprice () MITRE ! ORG>
Date:       2002-01-25 17:28:13

I have a (test) VB program that has two steps. First it uses
CryptFindOIDInfo to determine if a particular OID is registered. If the OID
is not registered, the program registers it with a call to
CryptRegisterOIDInfo. The second step is the reverse of the first. The
program then checks to see if the OID is registered and if so, then the
program unregisters the OID.

If I suspend the progam between steps in the Visual Studio debug
environment, and go outside of visual studio to examine a certificate using
the Windows certificate GUI, I see the OID is registered. If I then resume
the suspended progam, the test to see if the OID is registered has the same
result as the first call - the OID is not registered. If I exit visual
studio and restart the program, the calls to CryptFindOIDInfo show that the
OID is registered and the OID is unregistered in the second step.

Is there something I can or should be doing to clear the context (or
whatever) to allow the second call to CryptFindOIDInfo to return an accurate
status?  The OIDs that I am working with are policy OIDs. I am running Win
2k Prof. Thanks.

Bill Price