List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Is this possible .. exporting public/private keys
From:       Bryan Whitaker <bryan () CART32 ! COM>
Date:       2001-12-10 21:44:57

My main goal is to secure credit card numbers in an e-commerce application
using public/private keys.  What I would like to do is for each e-commerce
site generate a public and private key.  I want to store the public key on
the server and then have the client store the private key on their PC.

Then when an order is made the credit card number is written to the
database encrypted using the public key.  Then when the client wants to
view the order details, they must enter in the private key (and the it
probably get stored in a cookie for a session) and then they can view their
the CC number.

If this is possible I would like some direction as I've been unsuccessful
in coming up with a solution on my own so far.

Thanks!
Bryan Whitaker
bryan@cart32.com