List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    CSPDK installation
From:       Simon Martin <smartin () ISYS ! CL>
Date:       2000-12-27 14:32:30

Hi all,

This is probably no great shakes for most of you, but it took me a while to
work out so I thought I'd share it.

I have just managed to install the CSPDK on Windows 2000 (Professional, but
I suppose it's the same for all versions). It took me 2 days and a unneeded
reinstall to get it done, that's why I don't want anyone else to fall into
the same trap.

The installation instructions on the CSPDK install disk says:

"Expand the appropriate ADVAPI32.DLL for your test platform to the
%systemroot%\system32 folder"

Unfortunately, on Windows 2000 there is a little problem of the Windows File
Protection to be handled. So whenever I copied the ADVAPI32.DLL to
%systemroot%\system32 it was immediately stomped by WFP back to the original
value, so when I then tried to run the test csp, it always came back with
"Invalid signature". So after trying to install (and not realizing what was
happening) I reinstalled Windows 2000, thinking that maybe there was a
problem elsewhere.

It was only after copying and then reading back the directory (DOS Command
mode) that I realized what was happening.

The correct instructions for Windows 2000 should be

"Expand the appropriate ADVAPI32.DLL for your test platform to the
%systemroot%\system32\dllcache folder and then copy it to the
%systemroot%\system32 folder"

Hope no one else falls into the same trap....

Simon Martin
Project Manager
Isys Ltda