List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Interoperability questions
From:       "Thomas F. Beck" <tfb () MMCINC ! COM>
Date:       2000-07-26 15:16:28

Would anyone care to comment on the interoperability of CryptoAPI-based
applications? I have a need to receive and send encrypted files from/to a
variety of sources in an automated fashion. Thanks to some excellent
material (much from this list), I am comfortable with building a local app
to perform the crypto functionality. However, I cannot dictate what the
other side of this communication might use. I can reasonably insist on a
format that conforms to some common standard(s). What options exist that
would give my clients a reasonable range of tools/utilities to allow them to
create/receive such files, preferably unattended? I'm refering to
stand-alone products rather than something integrated into an email client.
Any comments or suggestions will be welcome.