List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Getting started with digital certificates and CryptAPI.
From:       Kevin Burton <kevin.burton () AVSTARNEWS ! COM>
Date:       1999-12-22 17:07:35

I am trying to get started with CryptAPI and have run into some questions
that I was hoping someone in this group could help to clear up.

1) In an article by Microsoft entitled "Secure and Encrupted Communication"
there is an example ASP page the simply lists the contents of the client
certificate. The core of the page contents is the following:
        For Each keyItem In Request.ClientCertificate()
                strValue = Request.ClientCertificate(keyItem)
                If Len(strValue) > 90 Then strValue = Left(strValue, 60) &
"... etc."
                Response.Write "<TR><TD>" & keyItem & " = " strValue &
"</TD></TR>"
        Next
It seems that the 'Request' object does not exist or there are no items in
it when I reference "https://server/showcert.asp". Any idea why this does
not work? How would this be implemented using CryptAPI (C++)?

2) I don't completely understand a certificate hierarchy. How do I set one
up? What is the requirement that there needs to be a "ROOT" certificate?
Does every client install a certificate on the server, or is there a request
for the root certificate on the server that is used to decode a client
certificate? How is this implemented using CryptAPI?

Thank you for your assistance.

Kevin Burton
Kevin.Burton@avstarnews.com