List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Re: Gates, Matthew email crashing Outlook 2000
From:       John Boyer <jboyer () UWI ! COM>
Date:       1999-07-21 18:52:34

Sorry for the trouble!  My future e-mail to this list won't be signed to
keep that from happening again.

JB: Thanks.

Interestingly enough, I regularly use my
signature with Outlook 98, which seems to have no problem handling it.
You're probably right that this has something to do with the listserv
messing up the signature when it redistributes the mail.  But, when I
received a copy of my message back from the list, the signature was
successfully removed and I could open it just fine.

As another note, my signature is technically only usable within Intel;
anyone outside of Intel should get a trust error when trying to open it, so
my message should not
have been signed to begin with.  However, this still shouldn't cause Outlook
to freeze up.  Hmm...

JB: Actually, I only assumed that CryptoAPI was still having the "Message
Altered" Problem,  but I've noticed from another group I'm on (the XML Dsig
group) that the invalid signature is due to not trusting the signature
certificate.  It's quite likely that the message alteration problem is now
also fixed for the CryptoAPI list.  This would explain why you had no
problem with your email (because you trust your cert.).  Also, the inability
to determine trust may be what's taking so long...  Either way, I don't
recall all of this taking so long when I used Outlook Express from IE4.