List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My\Keys
From:       Bill Doster <billdo () UMICH ! EDU>
Date:       1999-06-25 19:00:59

Only looked at a couple of machines, but it seems like "My\Keys" isn't present on \
Win9X + IE4. Once I install IE5, it appears (and code that works on NT+IE5 works on \
9X+IE5).  Rather than require that everyone here immediately upgrade to IE5, I'm \
hoping that a little clearer understanding on my part will allow me to get both IE 4 \
& 5 working.

It seems that "My\Keys" doesn't get "children keys" instantiated until

   CertSetCertificateContextProperty :: CERT_KEY_PROV_INFO_PROP_ID

is called, afterwhich a child key with the SHA1 hash of the associated key's \
CERT_PUBLIC_KEY_INFO structure is added (if I've installed IE5).

If only IE4 is installed, no "My\Keys" exists, so what should

   CertSetCertificateContextProperty :: CERT_KEY_PROV_INFO_PROP_ID

accomplish instead?  Currently it seems that IE4 doesn't think that the key (in \
"UserKeys\<loginid>") is associated with the X.509 cert (in \
"My\Certificates\<thumbprint>").  Same code runs fine on same machine once IE4 is \
upgraded to IE5...