List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Re: client authentication
From:       John Boyer <jboyer () UWI ! COM>
Date:       1999-03-29 18:11:52

Hi Denis,

Keeping rS around certainly won't hurt, and you can play up your FIPS
compliance, but in the original context:

>the context is such: we have a server and a client, where an SSL session
>between the server and the client is already established via CryptoAPI and
>all we have to do is to authenticate the client. Because there's an SSL
>session going on, we already have a secured channel and we trust the
>server's identity; we only have to find out if the client really is who he
>claims to be.

rS is not necessary.  If the server only has rC, the signature on rC and the
client certificate, then the certificate validity establishes who did the
signing, and the verification of the signature on rC that the corresponding
private key was actually used.  This is more information than just
validating that the certificate is real.  This is exactly what you need and
is unassailable to the extent that digital signatures and SSL are secure.

As for a possible weakness in SSL, if the eavesdropper can decode enough to
perform a replay attack, then the eavesdropper can decode anything in the
session.  So, if you are performing client authentication for the purpose of
verifying a person's identity before exchanging confidential information,
then your system will not survive a weakness in SSL because your system is
for authentication not confidentiality of information transmitted after
authentication.  Further, the eavesdropper doesn't even need to do a replay
to receive the confidential information, so whether or not you use rS is
immaterial.

Preventing a replay prevents the eavesdropper from replaying a transaction
request, like a purchase order.  So, if you don't care about the
confidentiality, but you do care about preventing replay, then your method
is helpful.  However, since replays can be prevented without SSL, I assumed
that it's actually the confidentiality you wanted.  As such, if SSL breaks,
you're hooped regardless of your authentication method.

In conclusion, then, your system in the given context is as secure as SSL
and the digital signature algorithms, which is what you really wanted to
know.

John Boyer
Software Development Manager
UWI.Com -- The Internet Forms Company