List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Re: Encryption using Public/Private Keys
From:       "Robert H. Yang" <rhyang () SPRINTMAIL ! COM>
Date:       1999-01-29 22:43:16

Quick question - I am looking at the January '99 MSDN in the
following place :

mk:@MSITStore:H:\MSDN\crypto.chm::/devdoc/live/crypto/1using_1rxh.htm

The topic title is "Encrypting a Message".  Step 1 has this to to say :

        "Because the CryptoAPI does not permit applications to use
         public-key algorithms to encrypt bulk data, specify a symmetric
         algorithm such as RC2 or RC4 with the CryptGenKey call."

The statement applies to CryptEncrypt() and CryptDecrypt(), if I am
not mistaken.  Am I misunderstanding something or is this doc just
out-of-date ?

BTW The help for CryptEncrypt() states the following :

        "In Windows NT 5.0, the Microsoft® Enhanced RSA Provider supports
         direct encryption with RSA public keys and decryption with RSA
         private keys."

I have yet to actually try this.  8)
-Rob