List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Re: Problem with CryptGenKey
From:       Gowri Shankar Makineni <makineni () ECUTEL ! COM>
Date:       1999-01-27 17:02:33

I did encounter a failure while generating Private Keys but not with
session keys.

This happens if you have a keyset already and you are trying to generate
another with the same name. The best way to deal in a situation like this
one is to delete the keyset irrespective of the fact that you get a successful
handle or not. Try deleting first using Enhanced Provider (if available) and
if you think that you created on the first instance using Base Provider use
that. Try playing arround and you will get something that suites you. A
corrupt keyset causes the problem.

In the beginning I did try to install IE again and again whenever I came
across
a situation like that but after using the above procedure it has been running
like a charm for me :-) Trial and Error does work sometime.

GSM

At 01:29 AM 1/27/99 PST, Dave Cash wrote:
>Systems: 95/98/NT
>
>Hi all,
>I have a problem whereby some machines get errors from CryptGenKey,
>specifically NTE_FAIL, which is documented as "The function failed in some
>unexpected way" which is pretty generic.
>
>If it's of any help, the following has fixed it for some, but not all,
>machines:
>
> 1. Deleting .pwl files for 95/98 users
> 2. Re-installing Windows
> 3. Installing Money 99
>
>Exact cause is unknown but on one machine it started after IE 4.01 was
>installed on top of IE 3.02.
>
>There is no commonality for windows version or IE version on these machines,
>and 99% work OK.
>
>Has anyone encountered anything similar?
>
>Is there a specific list of causes somewhere?
>
>Thanks in advance for your help,
>Dave

Gowri Shankar Makineni
Sr. Comms. Engineer, Ecutel