List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Re: IIS and CryptoAPI
From:       John Banes <jbanes () MICROSOFT ! COM>
Date:       1999-01-26 1:44:22

IIS2, IIS3, and IIS4 do not use CryptoAPI to store their private keys, nor
do they use CryptoAPI for encryption.

IIS5 is a different story. It will use CryptoAPI for both private key
management and encryption. Because of the complex SSL key derivation scheme,
we found it necessary to define some new CSP types: PROV_RSA_SCHANNEL and
PROV_DH_SCHANNEL. The former is used to support the RSA SSL cipher suites,
the latter for the DH/DSS SSL cipher suites.

If you were to write your own PROV_RSA_SCHANNEL CSP, and used it when
enrolling for an IIS5 certificate, then this CSP would automatically be used
for all IIS SSL crypto operations. I'm not sure whether IIS5 will support
the PROV_DH_SCHANNEL CSP type.

John Banes
Windows NT Security (schannel)