List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Outlook Express
From:       Jerry Menchhoff <aledoite () YAHOO ! COM>
Date:       1998-12-08 4:19:45

I recently set up a secure e-mail system on a small intranet system.
The system is based on Microsoft Exchange Server and Outlook Express
clients.  I began to wonder what Outlook Express used as its
encryption engine.  Client machines are only set up for exportable
encryption.  Removing RSABASE.DLL killed the S/MIME capability but I
remembered that Internet Explorer used the CSPs but only for
authentication.  Anybody know what Outlook Express uses as the
encryption engine?  Can I change the encryption options simply by
shuffling CSPs?  Also, Exchange server seems to have the capability to
use secure channels to communicate with the clients. I assume that
this capability uses SCHANNEL.DLL on both sides, but is that true?  If
I missed previous discussions on this topic, I apologize in advance.

Jerry Menchhoff
James Bimen Associates, Inc.