List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Re: Signing a message
From:       Greg Haskins <greg () PHONEMISER ! COM>
Date:       1998-07-29 14:56:21

Pretty much everything everyone has said is correct.  The output length
of a typical signature algorithm is dependant on a few variables,
including (but not limited to) 1) Algorithm, 2) Key length, 3) Length of
message.  The output size is not necessarily a direct function of the
key size because you sometimes have to consider the length of the input
as well.  For instance, the RSA signature scheme produces a signature
equal to the length of the signed message(1).  The ElGamal scheme
produces a signature equal to twice the length of the signed message.
The DSA standard incorporates SHA (160 bit output hash) with ElGamal
which ends up yielding two SHA outputs for a total of 320 bits.

Hash functions are introduced so that the output is not as much of a
burden on both transmission bandwidth and CPU usage.  If you use RSA,
for instance, without a hash, your message length effectively doubles
because you must transmit a message of length M and a signature of
length M(1).  This is bad news for all of you people still using 28.8K
modems ;).  In addition, modular exponentiation in the field Zp where p
is in the order of 2^512 - 2^2048 is pretty nasty on a message of length
M (where M is sufficiently large) as opposed to a nice little 160 bit
hash output.

(Note 1: The signature of M may actually be a little larger due to the
need to divide the message into blocks that fit within the group Zn
where n = p*q during the segmentation phase)

-greg

Gregory Haskins
Server Development
MediaCom Corporation