List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Newbie: implementation of a secure data transfer
From:       Noël DANJOU <noeld () MSN ! COM>
Date:       1998-03-20 16:53:05

Win9X / VC++ 5.0 / MFC

Hello,

There are 2 reasons why I want to use the CryptoAPI :

1) I would like to encrypt some data files with a key that I would put
inside the file. I just want to hide the data but everybody that use the
application can read the file and they don't have to worry or even know it
is encrypted.
I found a sample with a password but I don't want to use a password because
I want it to be transparent to the user. So I would like to know which kind
of key do I have to create and use to make this kind of encryption scheme ?

2) I would like to encrypt all the streams I send from a communication
application I wrote (WinSock) that does chat, file transfer and a few other
things.
- I am thinking of exchanging the public keys of the selected DID on both
ends
- if at least one end does not have a DID I am thinking of creating a key on
both ends and exchange these keys.
- when either keys are exchanged then the stream can be encrypted
- if something in the process does not work then the stream won't be
encrypted
Is it something realistic and meaningful ? Could You please give me some
clues on how to do each of these steps ? Thanks a lot in advance for your
time.

Noël
ICQ # 187712
noeld@msn.com