List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Why Outlook Express and CryptoAPI do this????
From:       Bronislav Kavsan <bkavsan () IRE-MA ! COM>
Date:       1998-01-31 15:00:55

After couple of weeks of being puzzled with the problem of Outlook Express using
our CSP I discovered some STRANGE behavior.
And that is: Outlook Express insists on using Microsoft Enhanced CSP for
encryption, despite the fact that it is NOT default CSP on my machine. Why?

It actually combines use of the default CSP authentication functions with
hardwiring use of Microsoft Enhanced CSP encryption functions - which makes it
even more convoluted. And more - wen asked to both sign and encrypt the message
- it does it wrong - the receiving side receives "invalid signature" message.

Could anyone help with explaining what is going on?

Slava Kavsan
IRE